LIST OF CONSIDERATIONS
Before enabling New Quizzes in your course, please review the following considerations to determine the best course of action. To discuss alternatives, feel free to request a consultation with an instructional designer.
- New Quizzes allows you to set point totals at both the quiz and question level. However, if different, it will default to using the point value set at the assignment level for grading purposes.
- For example, if you set the points on the assignment details page to 50 and create a quiz with 10 questions each worth 1 point, the quiz has a total of 10 points, but is worth 50 points when graded. If a student answers 9 questions correctly, their quiz score is 9/10 (90%). However, their final score in the Gradebook will be 45/50 (90%).
- Partial credit is not available for categorization and ordering questions.
- The New Quizzes Rich Content Editor (RCE) differs from the one found elsewhere in your Canvas course. New Quizzes does not allow you to link images, videos, or documents that you have previously uploaded to your course. Images must be uploaded directly from your computer while creating the quiz. Videos can be either uploaded directly from your computer or added with an embed code. Additionally, the RCE in New Quizzes does not support:
- Record audio and video via tool in the RCE
- Content Selector Sidebar
- HTML Editor
- Media Recorder
- Right-to-left and left-to-right formatting buttons
- Option to add media from applications such as Mediasite, YouTube, Kaltura, etc.
- The accessibility checker is not available within the New Quizzes Rich Content Editor. However, when creating the quiz, instructors should still ensure sufficient color contrast, alt texts are added to images, abbreviations or all caps are avoided, and when reasonable, indicate the type of question to follow, e.g., fill in the blank the following statement.
- The Quiz Extension Tool is not compatible with New Quizzes. To provide accommodations, you will need to moderate the quizzes. Once the accommodations are in place, the settings carry forward to future quizzes within the course.
- Quiz Migration (from Classic to New Quizzes)
- New Quizzes will only show the quiz and item analysis for Multiple Choice and True False questions. New Quizzes does not provide a Student Analysis report, and the quiz & item analysis report cannot be exported.
- Questions with formula equations migrate from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes as images.
- "Text no question" question types are migrated from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes as stimuli. This will require instructors to manually edit the stimuli in New Quizzes and attach questions to them.
- New Quizzes does not support the extension of time either in an active quiz nor when instructors want to reopen the last quiz attempt.