- How do I login to UF e-Learning?
- Where do I go for help with using UF e-Learning?
- Which browsers are recommended for use with UF e-Learning?
- How do I create my course in UF e-Learning?
- How do I import content from a previous semester's course?
- Are there workshops offered for instructors using UF e-Learning?
- How do I add participants to my course?
- What participant roles are available in Canvas?
- How do I limit my TAs to grade only specific students?
- How do I remove participants from my course?
- How do I publish a course in e-Learning?
- Can I use Turnitin in UF e-Learning?
- How do I set up a Peer Review assignment in e-Learning?
- How do I set up a Peer Review assignment in Turnitin External Tool?
- What do I need to do to close out my course at the end of the semester?
- How do I submit my final grades to Grade-a-Gator from the Grades?
- How do I give special access to an assessment?
- How do I give a different due date for some students in quizzes and assignments?
- How do I add my Syllabus?
- How do I use the Scanning Services Web App?
- How do I upload Scantron data into e-Learning?
- How do I access Groups in e-Learning? (Students)
- What is the UF Photo Roster tool?
- Why do some of my students not have photos in UF Photo Roster?
How do I login to UF e-Learning?
Please go to the UF e-Learning website and click the orange Login to e-Learning button. You will be prompted for your GatorLink username and password.
If you experience any issues with your username and/or password, please contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357.
Where do I go for help with using UF e-Learning?
- If you are a student, contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are an instructor, teaching assistant, facilitator, or other staff, please contact e-Learning Support at 352-392-4357 option 3 or via e-mail at email@example.com
Which browsers are recommended for use with UF e-Learning?
UF e-Learning in Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release. For more details, visit the Canvas Supported Browsers page.
Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating "Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas." If you have upgraded your browser but still see the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies. Please contact the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.
How do I create my course in UF e-Learning?
To request a Canvas course, instructors should use the Instructor e-Learning Course Request form located on the the UF Computing Help Desk website website. Use the "e-Learning" drop down menu to click on "Instructor e-Learning Course Request". You will receive an email which confirms your request and provides additional information about when your course will be created, how to access it, and links to more information.
Please see the My Canvas Course Management: Creating Canvas Course How-To Guide for more detailed information.
How do I import content from a previous semester's course?
To import content from a previous semester's Canvas course, you can follow the Canvas Import Guide.
Are there workshops offered for instructors using UF e-Learning?
Yes! To access our upcoming workshop offerings, visit the UFIT Training website.
How do I add participants to my course?
Each semester when you request a new course shell you will enter section numbers with your request. Associating section numbers automatically enroll students based on the Registrar database.
To add additional users to your course, such as TAs and facilitators, please use the Manage Users tool located in the left-hand navigation panel. TAs and facilitators should be added to the INIT section unless you want to limit the TAs to a particular section, thus restricting their access to all students.
Additionally, you can manually create sections and add or remove people using the My Canvas Course Management tool in myUFL. Please see the following links for more information:
- My Canvas Course Management: Creating Sections How-To Guide
- My Canvas Course Management: Adding and Removing Participants How-To Guide
Adding participants via "Manage Users" in e-Learning
The recommended browsers for using the Manage Users tool are Firefox and Google Chrome. For more information on "Manage Users" in e-Learning, please visit “Manage Users” in e-Learning (in pdf).
NOTE: This tool can be used to add TAs to specific sections or subsections. However, please keep in mind that UF Online TAs are still required to complete the TA institute. It is possible to add students to the registrar sections of the course, however when the roster is reconciled with the registrar, students who are not properly enrolled in the course will be automatically removed.
What participant roles are available in Canvas?
- Student - can read content, participate in course activities, submit assignments, and take quizzes
- Auditor - identical to student
- Student Mentor - identical to student with the exception that they cannot create collaborations
- Teacher - complete control over all aspects of the course. Can create, revise, and delete content and can interact with and grade students. Can enroll participants and make new sections.
- Facilitator - identical to teacher
- Teaching Assistant - identical to teacher with the exceptions that they cannot manage enrollments and learning outcomes, and they cannot create new sections.
- TA Non-grading - can create web conferences and groups, can view and moderate discussions and announcements, and can message/interact with students.
- TA Grading - can view submissions, edit/moderate grades, and can message students
- Designer - can create all course content but cannot see student interactions, view/edit grades, or contact students
- Retention Coach - can see student names and grades and can message students
- Guest Lecturer - can add files and pages, create conferences, and post to discussions
- Observer - can view course content but cannot interact with content or with students whom they are not linked to
- Program Observer - can view course announcements
How do I limit my TAs to grade only specific students?
If you have two TAs in a course and want them to grade only specific students, you may want to create two non-registrar sections called, for instance, "TA Bob" and "TA Jane". You would then add Bob and the students that you want Bob to grade to his section and then add Jane and the students you want Jane to grade in her section. Please see My Canvas Course Management: Creating Sections How-To Guide for more information on how to create sections for Bob, Jane, and their students. In addition, please see My Canvas Course Management: Adding and Removing Participants for information on adding students to Bob and Jane’s sections.
How do I remove participants from my course?
If you need to remove participants from your course, please use the Manage Users tool located in the left-hand navigation panel.
Additionally, you can manually remove participants using the My Canvas Course Management tool in myUFL. Please refer to the My Canvas Course Management: Adding and Removing Participants for more information on how to use this tool.
How do I publish a course in e-Learning?
By default, an e-Learning course is unpublished and students will not be able to access it until you publish. For instructions on how to publish your course, please view the video below.
How to publish your course
Can I use Turnitin in UF e-Learning?
You can access Turnitin from within your courses in two ways - using the Turnitin external tool or clicking the checkbox to Enable Turnitin Submissions. The following tutorials will show you how to use Turnitin external tool as instructors and students.
How do I set up a Peer Review assignment in e-Learning?
How do I set up a Peer Review assignment in Turnitin External Tool?
What do I need to do to close out my course at the end of the semester?
Your course will close automatically at the end of the semester based on the default semester end dates. If you need to adjust this date to leave your course open longer, you can make the adjustment from the Canvas left-hand navigation:
- Click Settings
- Go to the Course Details tab
- Change the “Ends” date
- Check the box that says "Users can only participate in the course between these dates"
- Click Update Course Details at the bottom of the page
How do I submit my final grades to Grade-a-Gator from the Grades?
If you have questions or need additional assistance, please contact your departmental grades coordinator or e-Learning Support either by phone at 352-392-4357 option 3 or by email at email@example.com.
How do I give special access to an assessment?
You can allow an individual student, several students or the entire class to have extra attempts or additional time on a quiz. Granting extra time or attempts is achieved through "Moderate This Quiz".
For more information on how to grant special access, please review the Moderate Quiz Guide.
How do I give a different due date for some students in quizzes and assignments?
Availability and due dates for quizzes and assignments defaults to "everyone" in the course; however, you are able to give different dates to specific students and/or sections. You can follow the Differentiated Assignments Guide for instructions.
How do I add my Syllabus?
For information on how to add your syllabus, please review the Canvas Syllabus Guide.
Note that the assignment list, which appears at the bottom of the syllabus tool cannot be removed; if you'd like for your syllabus page to only contain a downloadable syllabus file, you should use a Page, which will allow you to add the same content types without the assignment list.
If you decide you want to use a page instead of the syllabus tool, it is recommended that you remove the syllabus tool from the left-hand navigation pane.
How do I use the Scanning Services Web App?
If you are utilizing Scanning Services, you will receive an e-mail containing the link to the Scanning Services portal. Here you will be able to obtain your output .zip file. Your .zip file will contain a no_match.txt file and a .csv file. Within the Scanning Services portal you will see the following:
a. Your scanning services tab will show your available downloads
b. Your scans by default will be listed in chronological order starting with the most recent scans.
c. Clicking on any of the headers (except file download) will sort the table according to the clicked header.
d. To download your .zip file click on the file name in the file download column.
e. The search box will search the whole table for the inputted value.
f. The number of items included in the table may be increased by selecting a larger number located in the drop down menu directly to the right of the search box.
g. The 2nd button to the right of the search box is the place where you can hide different table columns.
h. At the bottom of the page you will find buttons that will move you to the next page.
How do I upload Scantron data into e-Learning?
Your grade files will be available in your Canvas course files in the form of a .zip file (containing: *_[COURSENAME]*.csv, *no_match.txt, *student_not_in_class.txt). This will be a locked folder (not visible to students) entitled "scanning_services." You can then import these grades into your gradebook with the following instructions:
- Download and unzip your output files from Scanning Services.
- In your Canvas course, within Grades, select "Import" and then "Browse."
- Select the .csv file you received from Scanning Services and click "Upload Data."
- Canvas will prompt you to either select an existing column in Grades or create a new one. If you enter a new one, it will ask the point possible for that item. When done, click "Continue."
- Canvas will present a list of students and their scores for you to check. Any problem rows will display here for troubleshooting. If all is correct, click "Save Changes."
If you have questions or need additional assistance regarding importing Scantron grades, please contact e-Learning Support either by phone at 352-392-4357 option 3 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I access Groups in e-Learning? (Students)
If you are assigned a group in e-Learning, this video tutorial will show you how to locate your groups and visit the group page.
Accessing Groups in e-Learning
What is the UF Photo Roster tool?
UF Photo Roster allows instructors to view their roster in their course(s) on Canvas, but also includes images of their students. These images are not the Canvas profile pictures, but instead they are from Gator1 Central. Photo Roster also allows instructors to view their student’s UF email address so that they can contact students outside of the Canvas email system.
Why do some of my students not have photos in UF Photo Roster?
In some cases, students do not have official photos within the Gator1 Central database. The main reason for these cases is that the students are distance education students or are UF online students.